Monday, October 12, 2009

Too Early to Start Setting 2010 Goals?

As I sit here on yet another plane ride on another Sunday night to yet another speaking engagement/training session on Monday, I find myself mapping out my 2010. The thoughts that I have been capturing on paper are based partially on long term goals that I have had for years, (that I remain committed to) combined with new goals that are a combination of things learned thus far this year with things I wish to engage in or complete in 2010.

In years past, I have waited until late December to address the upcoming year. Like many of you (I assume) as I get older, I find myself thinking more about the things that I want to get done each year. The years seem to be cruising along faster every year and as my children grow, there is even more pull on my time from the home front. Priorities adjust and success gets redefined with every year.

I want my business to grow and yet, I want to spend more time with my children. I want to expand into different areas of value for my clients, and yet I wish to keep my firm small. I want to get in 100 rounds of golf while lowering my handicap and yet wish to continue my quest for greater health through consistent exercise and better eating. I want to travel and vacation more with my family while they (we) are young and yet….well, see all of the above. I want to complete two books currently under way. I would like to see my staff earn considerably more income without putting in more hours-and without cutting too deep into company profits. I want…I want…I want. Thus, I begin the process of mapping it out.

Have you thought through and decided what you want to DO in 2010? I suggest that give it some thought. Why not now? Why wait? Get a first draft started and share it with your family and your team at work. Get input from others. Look at the calendar and start penciling the WHENs to the WHATs. Some things will get scheduled and others will have to wait for another time. When will you take the time to read, to take a class, to grow, to get stronger, to exercise, to live, to share, to love, and to “check out?” Oh yeah, through all of that, when will fit in the time to grow your business?

This month, schedule a few hours (you have to schedule them-you won’t find them) to give some thought to your upcoming year. Think on paper! Write down everything that you’d like to engage in or complete in the upcoming 12 months. Don’t put limitations on yourself-just write them down as if you could not fail. Attach real numbers and dates. Avoid “wandering generalities” and be as specific as you can. Once you have your list, stop and schedule a second time period to prioritize and plan these things.

Creating a road map for your personal and business success is serious business and requires thought---that’s why so few people do it—and why those that do, do it poorly.

No comments:

Post a Comment